Many pet lovers wonder whether there are any candle scents that are good for animals. Whether the candles are to mask the scent of pets or to relax an over excited animal, there are many candle scents that are perfect for the task.
Scented candles are an extremely popular way of adding fragrance to a home. The clever blending of fragrance oils such as natural essential oils and synthetically produced fragrance oils means that a range of different home fragrances are available to suit all tastes. One of the benefits of scented candles is that they can be used as aromatherapy treatments and this can be useful for animals as well as humans. Scented candles are also a great way to mask any unpleasant animal smells.
Types of Candle Scents that are Good for Animals
There are reported to be many different types of candle scents that good for animals. These include:
- Lavender - this is one of the most well known fragrances for relaxing and de-stressing humans and animals. The lavender fragrance has been used for generations to aid sleep. Lavender scented candles are therefore a good way to help calm an excitable animal. Lavender is a light and popular scent and is suited to anywhere in the home.
- Peppermint - this is often used as a pick-me-up. The scent of fresh peppermint is regarded as being a stimulus and is good for dogs that are a little sluggish. Peppermint has an invigorating scent and is best used in the living areas of the house and not in bedrooms. Peppermint is also a strong fragrance and one that can mask other scents and smells.
- Eucalyptus - this is a traditional decongestant and has been used for centuries to help humans and animals with respiratory problems. Eucalyptus has a slightly 'medical' smell and as such is best restricted to limited areas of the house.
When using a candle scent as aromatherapy for an animal it is important to also seek proper veterinary advice for any serious or worrying complaints.
Fragrances that are Good for Masking the Smell of Animals
The smell of a wet dog or kitty litter can sometimes pervade through a home. Sometimes the only way to deal with this is to look for a home fragrance that can help to neutralize pet smells. Richly scented candles are ideal for this. The types of candle scents that are good for animal aromas include:
- Citrus - citrus fragrances such as orange, lemon and grapefruit are ideal for masking animal smells. These have a pleasant and fresh fragrance and the sharp overtones help to neutralize the musky smells of a pet.
- Floral - floral scents are popular home fragrances and are good for homes with pets. Floral scents include rose and jasmine. Both of these are strong yet light fragrances and are useful for masking any underlying pet smells.
- Blends - many candle companies make special candle fragrance blends that are specifically designed to counteract the smell of animals. These candle scents are good for animals of all types, including cats, dogs and small pets. Many hours of research have gone into blending different fragrances together to make home fragrances that overcome the smell of animals while also providing a pleasant scent for the home. These air freshening candles can be an ideal choice for households with pets.
There are many types of candle fragrance for animals and picking the right one depends on what fragrances are right for your home as well as for your pets.