Floating candle centerpieces can be the perfect touch when it comes to parties and get-togethers. You can choose from fun, whimsical, and elegant styles to match any theme or color.
When to Use Floating Candle Centerpieces
One of the things that makes floating candle centerpieces ideal for events is their lifetime. You won't have to worry about flowers wilting, for example. You can set them up the night before, then light the candles right before guests arrive.
Events where you may like to have floating candles as centerpieces include:
- Wedding receptions
- Bridal showers
- Baby showers
- Romantic dinners
- Summer or spring parties around pools, ponds, or water gardens
You can use them anytime you need to add pizzazz to your table. They'll save you money if you use them over expensive floral arrangements, too. Candles are usually cheap, and the bowls and bases are up to you. Shop at discount stores and don't be afraid to combine different, inexpensive pieces to create a beautiful, elegant centerpiece.
In other words, you can use candles any time you want to cut corners on the price of an event without cutting corners on the appearance-especially if you make the candle arrangements yourself.
Floating Candle Ideas
You can easily make your own floating candle centerpieces if you have the time. All you need is a base, a bowl, candles, and bows or anything else you want to use that fits your color scheme or the theme of your party.
- Base: You can get a mirror to use as a base. Choose any shape you'd like. You could also use cloth. It's up to you. Get creative! You can even decorate the base with candies, flower petals, or pieces of ribbon. If you take a trip to the craft store, you'll find ideas practically jumping off the shelves.
- Bowl: For the bowl, see what you can find at discount stores. You don't have to spend a ton on these. Clear bowls are the most stunning, but they don't have to be plain.
- Candles: Look for candles designed for floating in water so they'll be sure to float well and last through the event. You can find everything from simple colored candles to candles shaped as citrus fruits in any color your party requires.
- Additional decorations: The additional decorations are completely up to you. If you're not sure what you want to add, look around a craft store for ideas. You may even find bouncing ideas off an employee helpful in coming up with creative decorations for your centerpieces.
How to Make Them
If you're feeling crafty, try making your own centerpiece featuring floating candles. Here are a few places you can find do-it-yourself instructions:
- Super Weddings doesn't have a setup for you to buy, but it does have great instructions for making your own centerpiece. It's a unique piece in that the "bowl" is actually made by gluing a clear bowl onto an overturned drinking glass. This design includes pink rose petals and candles, but you can effortlessly make it match your own wedding or party decor.
- Candle Whiz is a great site for the hardcore do-it-yourselfers out there. Not only can you make your own centerpiece, but you can make your own floating candles.
Where to Find Them
There are plenty places that you can purchase this type of centerpiece if you'd rather buy one than try making it yourself. Visit local arts and crafts supply stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby or try one of the following online retailers:
- Surroundings has an absolutely stunning collection of candle centerpieces, including those that float. You can get ready-made kits that include the bowl, candle, and decorative additions.
- Art Wax has an eclectic selection of floating candles. They're especially lovely for casual, outdoor events due to their bright colors and styles like ladybugs, butterflies, and more. There are even lemons and limes.
- Candle Boutique has everything you need, from the bowls to the candles. If you decide to use mirrors as your bases, you can get those there too.
Inexpensive and Attractive Decorating Solution
Centerpeices that feature floating candles are inexpensive and attractive decorating solutions that can be used for just about any occasion. They're also quite versatile. No matter what kind of event you are decorating for, it's easy to customize a focal point for your table using a base, bowl, candles and additional decorations that are consistent with the overall theme.