Understanding the relationship between candle magic spells and colors may seem like a complicated task, but it's important to understand this aspect of candle magic if you wish to cast spells correctly.
What Is Candle Magic?
Candle magic is the practice of burning candles as part of rituals designed to accomplish a special goal. Spells to attract a lost lover or bring good fortune are examples of candle magic.
Casting candle magic spells is common in the Wiccan religion, although many other types of people are interested in candle magic as well. Spells can be cast for yourself or on behalf of someone else, although it is never recommended to cast a spell on someone without their permission. Candle magic is white magic and not used for evil or unsavory purposes. The Wiccan Rede "An harm to none do what thou wilt" should always be remembered when considering the use of candle magic spells and colors.
Basic Candle Magic Spells and Colors
Although people interested in casting spells with candles sometimes disagree on what color candle is best for a particular spell, the following list serves as a good general guide for selecting candles for your rituals:
- Red: A red candle is used to represent the element of fire. It is common in spells to maintain health, increase strength, promote passion, or employ defensive magic.
- Pink: Pink candles are most commonly used in rituals to promote self-love. However, they are also ideal for spells relating to weddings and emotional unions. The color symbolizes relaxation, love, and friendship.
- Orange: An orange candle is used to attract specific influences or objects when casting a candle magic spell. It promotes energy.
- Yellow: Representing the element of air, yellow candles are recommended for spells which are intended to heighten visualization abilities. Yellow is also the color of intelligence, confidence, and eloquence.
- Green: Naturally, green is the color of money and prosperity. However, this candle color can also be used in spells for fertility, healing, growth, or abundance.
- Blue: A blue candle represents the element of water. It is used in spells to affect sleep or to awaken the psychic mind.
- Purple: Purple candles enhance spiritual activities and increase your magical powers. In combination with blue candles, they can be used in healing rituals.
- White: White is the color of protection and purification. Linked with the moon, white candles contain all colors and are used for positive purposes.
- Black: Black candles absorb negativity. Black is the absence of light and the representative of outer space. Black candles are often associated with evil magic, but this is not true. Black candles can be used for positive rituals such as those to absorb illness or stop bad habits.
- Brown: Brown candles are burned in combination with other candles when spells invoke animals. For this reason, people interested in candle magic spells and colors often keep several brown candles on hand.
Ideally, you want to use candles made from soy or beeswax for casting candle magic spells. This is important because these candles contain natural ingredients, helping to bring you closer to the spirit of the universe. Making the candles yourself isn't necessary, but some people do choose to go this route to further insure the purity of their candles.
Using Essential Oils for Candle Spells
While choosing the right color of candle for your spell is important, you can also use essential oils to give your spells a magical boost. For example, cinnamon can be used in spells to attract a lover or enhance the romance in your relationship.
A drop of pure essential oil placed on the top of an unscented candle will release its fragrance when the candle is lit. For more information about the relationship between aromatherapy and candle magic spells, see the LoveToKnow Candles articles on Aromatherapy Candle Making and Aromatherapy Candle Making Recipes.