Sand candle making can be a fun and rewarding project for crafters who wish to learn more about making homemade candles.
What Are Sand Candles?
Even if you're new to the art of candle making, you've probably seen sand candles for sale at specialty boutiques and gift shops. These candles look similar to ordinary candles, but they have an outer shell made of plain or colored sand. They are available in a number of different sizes, colors, and scents.
Sand candles are a popular element of beach-themed home décor and are great crafts for children to make with adult supervision. They can be given as thoughtful gifts for birthdays, Christmas, or other special holidays. Enterprising crafters may even choose to use sand candles as the basis of a small candle making business.
Supplies for Sand Candle Making
Sand candle making requires a minimal amount of candle making equipment, making it an ideal project for crafters on a tight budget.To make your own sand candles, you'll need:
- Candle wax
- Candle dye
- Fragrance oil or essential oil
- Double boiler
- Wooden stick for stirring candle wax
- Large plastic tub
- Candle wick
- Sand from your local beach or craft sand in the color of your choice
Supplies for sand candle making can be found at large craft stores such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels Crafts. You can also purchase the necessary items from the following online retailers:
- Oriental Trading has craft sand in eight colors. Each one is sold in a 5-pound bag.
- Bitter Creek Candle Supply sells candle wax, fragrances, dyes, and 17 colors of craft sand for sand candle making.
How to Make a Sand Candle
Sand candle making is surprisingly easy. Once you've mastered the basic steps, you should be able to make a number of candles in one afternoon.Follow these steps to make your own sand candles:
- Melt the candle wax using a double boiler or an old tin can placed in a pot of water. Add dye or fragrance if applicable.
- Pour about five inches of sand into a large plastic tub. The sand should be damp, but not excessively moist.
- Make a bowl shaped impression in the sand. For a more uniform-looking candle, use on old glass jar as a guide.
- Bury the wick bottom in the sand.
- Pour hot wax into the sand, making sure the wick remains straight.
- Let candle cool completely.
- Remove candle and gently rub off excess sand.
Faking the Look of Sand Candles
Follow these steps to create your own faux sand candles:
- Put on rubber gloves.
- Hold the candle by the wick.
- Apply spray adhesive all around the candle.
- Roll the candle gently into the sand until all sides are completely covered.
- Let your candle dry.
For additional information about sand candle making, check out the following helpful websites:
Sand candle making is also covered in the following books:
- The Candlemaker's Companion: A Complete Guide to Rolling, Pouring, Dipping, and Decorating Your Own Candles by Betty Oppenheimer
- The Encyclopedia of Candlemaking Techniques: A Step-By-Step Visual Guide by Sandie Lea and Sue Heaser
- Basic Candle Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started by Eric Ebeling