Nothing says romance quite like candles. Whether they are being used for an intimate dinner, a relaxing bath or to enhance the atmosphere in a cozy bedroom setting, the soft flickering light of candles creates an ambience that is undeniably romantic.
Romantic candles come in all shapes and sizes. The setting and the way in which the candles are used contributes more to the romantic atmosphere than the shape or size of the candle. However, there are some shapes that stand out such as:
- Heart shaped candles
- Rose or flower shaped candles
- Lip shaped candles
- Tapir candles
- Round candles
Color can affect a person's mood and has been scientifically studied in the aptly named psychology of color. Colors that stand out for romantic candles include:
- Red- Most shades of red are associated with romance, vitality and love. Red is also the most common color associated with hearts and roses, which are two iconic symbols of romance.
- Burgundy/Maroon- Although very similar and reminiscent of fine wine, these two distinct colors share a common base of red mixed with blue to deepen the tone. The subtle variation comes from a third undertone of black for burgundy and brown for maroon.
- Pink- A lighter shade of red made by adding a touch of white, pink is associated with young, innocent or new love.
- Purple- This color of royalty also represents passion and creativity.
- White- A color that represents innocence and purity, white is associated with weddings and natural beauty.
- Black- While seeming morbid or gloomy for some, black can also invoke a sense of mystery and romance. Black can be both submissive and empowering. Black candles alone may appear too dark and foreboding but mixed in with bright shades of red or purple, they can create a striking contrast.
Scent is one of the most powerful triggers of emotion and memories. Certain smells can evoke strong emotional responses when linked to pleasant memories of comfort foods, locations and life experiences. Scented candles can be used as aromatherapy to relax inhibitions or stimulate passions.
Scented candles should never be used during a meal, as they would certainly interfere or compete with the scents and flavors of food. However, scented candles are perfect for a relaxing massage or soak in the tub and enhancement for a romantic bedroom setting.
Sweet smelling candles can wet an appetite for passion just like any other aphrodisiac. Some of the most romantic food scents include:
- Warm sugar
What isn't romantic about the smell of fresh cut flowers or a garden in full bloom? Top romantic floral scents include:
- Cherry Blossom
Some people are more stimulated by exotic scents that might evoke memories of a great vacation abroad or inspire fantasies of getaways yet to come. Scents like this can include:
Sometimes you can find your favorite cologne or perfume infused into a scented candle. This is a great way to fill your bedroom with a scent that turns you or your partner on. Examples include:
- Cool Water
- Beautiful by Estee Lauder
- Light Blue by Dolce and Gabanna
- Chanel No. 5
Using Candles for Romantic Meals
Candles make beautiful centerpieces and accents for the dining table, whether it's dinner, brunch or even a romantic picnic shared on a blanket. Long tapir candles are commonly used for formal settings and also add elegance and class to a romantic table setting. One or two tapirs paired with fresh flowers or rose petals scattered among them make a simple yet classy table setting. However, there are many ways to use candles in a romantic table setting.
Here are a few more ideas:
- A glass bowl filled with water and floating candles
- Cocktail glasses filled with glass beads and a candle in the center
- A grouping of votives in varying heights
- Small votives randomly placed throughout the table setting
Creating a Romantic Setting with Candles
Use candles to create a warm, inviting atmosphere at home when you want to spend quality time with your significant other. Here are some mood enhancing tips:
- Turn off or dim ceiling fixtures and floor lamps. Keep one or two accent lights on and illuminate the home with candles. Use candles in glass jars, glass votive holders or candle lanterns to avoid excessive wax drippings.
- Create a path of candlelight that leads from the entryway to the dining room and then on into the master bedroom and bathroom. Light some candles around a hot tub if you have one. Accent your candle-lit path with scattered rose petals.
- Save the scented candles for the bedroom, bathroom and hot tub.
To add to the romantic ambiance, make a playlist of your favorite love songs and play them quietly in the background.
Where to Buy Romantic Candles
Look for romantic, specialty candles online when planning a romantic setting:
- Skinny Dip Candles- These candles are actually four products in one. When burned, the candles produce a moisturizing lotion, massage oil and body balm. The candles melt at a very low temperature so that the melted lotion is warm but not hot. The delicious fragrance of the candle freshens both the atmosphere and the skin.
- Candles4Less- Here you will find a variety of candles including heart-shaped lollipop candles, ceramic heart-shaped candles, floating candles and wedding candles. You can also buy candles in bulk for even more savings.
- Light in the Box- While the name sounds like a candle store, this retailer actually sells a variety of products, including candle favors. These unique candles can be used for weddings, anniversaries or for your own intimate setting. You'll find a variety of heart-shaped candles, elegant calla lily champagne flute candles, rose candles and classy candle holders.
- Yummi Candles- This site carries one of the largest collections of candles you can find online. Their signature line of scented candles feature luxurious scents like Mr. and Ms. Opus, with trendy colors and fragrances perfect for creating a romantic ambience.
Just one single candle can be enough to add a touch of romance to an otherwise ordinary setting. When true love is in the air, everything looks brighter, tastes sweeter and feels better!