It's easy to learn how to anoint a candle. There are a few simple rules that explain the proper process that you want to be sure to follow.
How to Anoint a Candle for Spells
There are two types of spells you want to address when you anoint your candle. One spell brings things to you. The other type of spell is to send things away from you, such as a banishing spell or a removing/reversing spell.
What to Do Before You Anoint a Candle
First, cleanse the candle of all negative energies by smudging it with sage incense or burying it in salt for 12-24 hours. After that, you're ready to anoint your candle. The purpose of anointing a candle is to infuse your personal energy of intent into the candle. This is perhaps the most important aspect of anointing a candle.
Oils and Herbs for Anointing a Candle
There are a few supplies you will need to gather for anointing a candle. The first is the oil you wish to use.
- Olive oil is a popular anointing oil for candle magic spells.
- Other oils often used include almond, coconut, grape seed, apricot, jojoba, avocado, and sunflower.
- Each of these oils makes a great carrier oil if you wish to add essential oils in your anointing oil.
- Many practitioners incorporate essential oils in their spellwork. These oils are made from plants and flowers and have specific scents as well as properties recognized in spellwork.
- Herbs are also often used in spellwork and can also be infused into the anointing oil.
Bless and Charge the Anointing Oil
Many practitioners bless and charge the anointing oil before applying it to the candle. Others prefer to bless and charge the oil and candle together. This is up to you or if you are following someone else's spell, you may be required to bless and charge the oil as the first step in casting your spell.
A few steps for blessing and charging the anointing oil include:
- Pour 2 ounces of oil into a bowl or container.
- Add essential oils and/or herbs (optional).
- Chant or say a prayer over the oil.
- Hold the bowl or container between your hands.
- Focus on the oil and infuse it with your intent for casting the spell.
Gather Additional Supplies Before You Anoint the Candle
There are a few supplies you'll need to gather before you can begin with the anointing of the candle. Once you've gathered them, you'll need to set up your altar or table and open your protection circle.
- Candle holder
- Disposable plastic gloves
- Anointing oil
How to Anoint a Candle to Bring Something to You
You will focus on whatever you intend to bring to you with your candle magic spell. Only hold positive thoughts during the candle anointing process. You want to envision your desired outcome and visualize it from the beginning to the end. In addition to visualization, you can also recite a mantra, chant, or prayer if you wish.
- Don the pair of disposable gloves.
- Dip your fingertips into the oil.
- Slowly draw the oil from the top of the candle to the middle.
- Repeat drawing the oil from the top of the candle to the middle as you work your way around the candle.
- Be careful and don't get any oil on the wick.
- Once you've dressed the top to middle part of the candle, draw the oil from the bottom of the candle to the middle.
- Continue to work your way around the candle, pulling the oil from the bottom of the candle to the middle.
- Once you've completely anointed the candle, set it in the candle holder and continue with your spell.
How to Anoint a Candle to Remove or Reverse Something
Casting a spell to remove something in your life, such as a bad habit, an obstacle or to reverse a previous spell requires the opposite candle dressing. Instead of pulling the oil into the middle, you will pull the oil away from the middle of the candle.
- You need to start at the midpoint along the candle length and pull the oil with your fingertips from the middle to the top of the candle.
- Work around the candle, pulling the oil from midpoint to the top.
- Make sure you don't get oil on the wick.
- Once the top half of the candle is dressed, return to the mid-point and pull the oil to the bottom of the candle.
- Continue to work your way around the candle, pulling the oil from the middle to the bottom of the candle.
- Once the candle is fully dressed, place it in the candle holder and continue with your spell.
Anoint a Candle for Various Candle Spells
You can anoint the candle for a candle magic spell using these two methods. You want to make sure you properly anoint your candle to ensure your spell is successful.